Health Care Directives And Power Of Attorney

Who Will Make Your Decisions When You Can't?

Taking responsibility for a loved one's health and finances is a heavy burden. Challenging questions of what to do in case of incapacitation or life support arise — basically, what should your loved ones do if you can no longer make decisions for your own well-being?

Health care directives and power of attorney provide a way for you to clearly outline your wishes should these issues come up, and lift the emotional and personal burden off your loved ones' shoulders.

My office, Jeffrey P. White and Associates, P.C., provides high-quality legal representation founded on more than 30 years of experience and a willingness to seek personalized solutions for clients. I recognize the sensitive nature of these issues and work hard to help my clients consider the personal aspects as well as the technical and legal aspects.

Above all else, you need to make sure your decisions are founded in reason and stability. I can provide the information you need to act as such.

What Information Should I Cover In Advance Directives, Living Wills And Durable Health Care Power Of Attorney?

There is not one specific way to outline your wishes in these documents. Begin by assessing your current health care concerns, and what you may reasonably expect to happen as you get older. Will you end up in a nursing home? Do certain conditions run in your family? While you cannot predict the future, this type of information can serve as a guide for the decisions you make.

Furthermore, think about your personal beliefs about what should happen if you are incapacitated or being kept alive by life support alone. Make sure your loved ones understand what your wishes are, and discuss how these issues should be outlined in your estate planning documents with your estate planning lawyer.

Considering your financial well-being as you get older is a crucial aspect of any solid estate plan. Medicaid planning offers your children and loved ones a way to make sure your assets are available to you without limiting your access to other care benefits.

For More Information

Arrange a free consultation to discuss your case by contacting me online or by telephone at 207-536-6224 . My office is located in the Lewiston-Auburn area, and I also represent clients near Portland and throughout Maine.